Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Camp NaNoWriMo: April 2015


Camp NaNoWriMo. Is there a better way to spend my last month of college? I think not!

For those of you who don’t know, NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month. It’s a commitment to write 50,000 words in the month of November. The Camp versions occur in April and July. I participated in my first NaNo this past November and really loved it. Therefore, I signed up for Camp NaNo.

The biggest difference between the Camp and the regular NaNo is that you get to set your word count. Also you don’t have start a new novel. You could work on a WIP or you can revise one. It’s whatever you want to make it. 

I was thinking about revising my novel, but I decided against it because I found I haven’t been writing as much as I want to this year. Therefore, I’m working on a brand new, sparkling novel. Well, that’s a lie. I’m actually working on two different novels this month. 

The first idea I have I actually set aside for NaNo 2014 when another idea invaded my mind. It’s a fantasy novel with some dark elements. In my head it’s similar to Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo—a little bit darker and a little mysterious. But who knows how it’ll actually end up. I’m excited to see where I can take it though I still don’t have a clue where it’s going. 

My second idea isn’t exactly young adult since it’s about college students. The novel is most likely a product of my impending graduation and reluctance to leave college. I think it would be classified as New Adult in the marketplace, but I’m not entirely sure. The best comparison would be Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell minus the writing plus a lot of mystery, puzzles, and murder. 

I’m leaning towards the second idea. Especially since I’ve already written 10k even before Camp NaNo started, but I really don’t want to push aside the first idea once again. I know it’s going to be a great story, but there’s got to be a reason I pushed it aside just months ago. Maybe I’m not a good enough to tackle it yet? Or maybe I’m not exactly sure if I really want to write it? 

Either way, I’m going to work hard and try to write 40,000 words this month of April. Whether it’s in story idea number 1 or story idea number 2. I just want to write because I feel like it’s been too long. 


Anyone else participating in Camp NaNoWriMo: April 2015? Comment below if you are! I would love to talk to others through the month so we can cheer each other on! 

No comments:

Post a Comment